Company News

Monday 06 July, 1998 | RSS Feed

Safety Tips on using Neodymium Magnets

by AOMag | post a comment

Neodymium magnets by AOMag are very strong. In addition, neodymium magnets are a vital component of nearly every electronic device we heavily rely on every day. Neodymium magnets come in a variety of shapes, sizes and forms and are easy to use in any application, but no tool is without risk. Neodymium magnets are no exception. You must exercise extreme caution when using neodymium or any other magnet in any capacity to avoid accidents.

Below are some safety measures to take when working with neodymium magnets:

1.Neodymium magnets are very powerful and can attract to each other or ferrous material at speeds high enough to cause them to break, crack or shatter, sending particles flying all over the place–and into your eye if you’re not wearing protective covering. Two neodymium magnets slamming together will also painfully pinch your fingers if they come between the magnets. Very large magnets pose a crushing hazard and should not handled at all. Wear protective covering on your hands (and eyes) when handling neodymium magnets.

2.Do not leave neodymium magnets produced by aomagnet.com near magnetic media such as credit cards, floppy disks, computers, magnetic ID cards, cassette tapes and video tapes. The strong magnetic field of neodymium magnets can damage these magnetic media.

3.Do not leave neodymium magnets near electronic devices such as computer monitors, televisions and VCRs. As with magnetic media, a neodymium magnet’s magnetic field can also damage these devices.

4.Keep neodymium magnets away from individuals who have a pacemaker or other internal medical device, as these magnets can make the device malfunction.

5.Keep neodymium magnets by aomag away from children. Their small size pose a choking hazard, and their strong attracting properties also pose a risk of bodily injury (if a child’s small fingers gets pinched between two magnets that slam together).

6.Never heat neodymium magnets at temperatures above 175º F or 80º C. Heating the magnets at higher temperatures diminishes their magnetic properties and increases the risk of the magnets igniting into a flame. Burning magnets may produce toxic fumes.

7.Neodymium magnets are brittle and prone to cracking and chipping. Therefore, drilling or machining is not a good idea. Doing so may cause the magnets to shatter and break, and machining or drilling may also produce flammable metal powder that could overheat and ignite info flames.

8.Dispose of neodymium magnets in compliance with your country’s laws. Magnets should be thermally demagnetized or placed in a steel container before disposing to prevent the magnets from attracting refuse containers or waste disposal equipment.






News for Thursday 13 November, 1997


View all news for Thursday 13 November, 1997 on one page




Recent News




News archive